Friday, September 21, 2007

I wish for..........

Kid-sized bubble wrap. That would be perfect! You could just wrap them up before school or play and send them on their way. Then you wouldn't have to worry about broken bones or scraped elbows and such. But alas, no such thing exists and our children have to go out into the world unprotected to get their scrapes and broken bones no matter how much we poor mothers worry.

My oldest DD was running races yesterday on the play ground at school during recess. She tripped, somehow, fell onto her left arm and slid across the blacktop parking lot. Her arm came away from the incident with only a minor road rash, but her left clavicle wasn't so lucky. I was working in the school kitchen at the time, so the teacher on playground duty came up to the kitchen window (looking gravely serious, might I add) and said "Mrs KitKat, can you please come with me to the office." (Insert ominous music here....) After a slight joke on my part (The "Oh great, what did my kid do now?" kinda thing), I realised that it might be a tad serious. There in the office sat my beautiful little one just bawling like crazy and saying "I think I broke it Mommy! I want my Daddy! It hurts!!" My oldest DD can take a lot of pain without complaint. This was the kid who once told me "I think my ear hurts a little" when she had a double ear infection. The kid just doesn't cry, so I knew that we were probably in big trouble. I called my hubby and we decided that a trip to the ER might be a better choice than our local Quick Care, so I loaded her and my youngest DD into the car and off to the ER we went. (I pulled my youngest DD out for the rest of the day just in case I didn't make it back in time. It was the ER that we were going to, after all.) Hubby met us there right after we got out of X-Ray and just in time to listen to the doctor tell us about her fractured left clavicle that can't be put into a cast. So, my little girl has to walk around with a broken collar bone and her arm in a sling.

I think that the 9 year old is handling her first broken bone better than her mother is. But that, my friends, is another story..............

And did I mention that she has been working really hard the past few weeks on her school play? That's why I have been a bit scarce in the posting department. She in our school's version of "Alice in Wonderland". They have been rehearsing everyday. And she's Alice. And the play is TOMORROW! AHHHHHH!!!!! I will have to let you know how this all works out because I am not really sure what is going to happen.

And she broke her clavicle on the day after her 9th birthday and the day before my 34th birthday. I told her that nine years ago she gave me the best birthday present that I ever got, and then yesterday she went and broke it. At least it made her smile and laugh. Then she told me not to make her laugh anymore because it hurts to laugh.

It certainly has been a long week. But yes, I can still laugh about it. :)

1 comment:

a soldier's wife said...

(((hugs)))
I've often wished for kid's size bubble wrap for my two. I hope your daughter heals fast and that everything goes smoothly with her being Alice in the play.