Friday, April 27, 2007

Time Flies

Wow!! Where has this week gone? I cannot believe that it is already Friday! TGIF, I guess. I wish that I could say that the week went by quickly because something fun or eventful happened. Unfortunately, that is not the case. We were just busy.

It was also one of those weeks where the small things are catching up to me. You know, those little bad things that happen sometimes. They just keep piling up and eventually kinda get you down. I have the "Service Engine Soon" light now greeting me when I start my car. It's been there for a few days and I have no idea what is wrong with the car. Just got next year's tuition rates. (I dont' even want to think about that one!) Gas has finally jumped over $3 a gallon by us. Ouch!! Not to mention a couple other financial dings and dents that I don't want to grumble about because I should really be counting my blessings instead of fussing about my perceived hardships.

We had some nasty weather out by us yesterday. Fortunately, it was all far enough away that we didn't get any storm damage and there was only a medium amount of damage for the folks who did get hit. No one was hurt, and that is the main thing. The weather service said that the tornado that hit our village was classified as an EF0. It was a small one with about 65 - 80 mph winds and width of about 5 yards. Nope, that's not a typo. It was just a little baby one that kinda skipped around over about a 10 mile long path. My daughter was at church practicing for their first communion when the storm rolled in. They had to stop and move into the hall to duck and cover, but the mini-twister moved in the other direction and didn't even come anywhere close to the church. All in all, we (and everyone else in our area) were very blessed. It could have been much, much worse. A horrible tornado went through our town in 1991 (an F5) and did incredible amounts of damage and took some lives. Yesterday did remind me that I need to clean out the basement and re-stock it with some emergency supplies for those times when we need to run down there. My parents just bought us a wonderful set of shaker flashlights and a handcrank radio so that I no longer have to worry about keeping fresh batteries in those things. Just shake, crank, and be good to go! :-) Perhaps I'll have to do a post sometime about what else I am going to do to make sure that we are prepared if we have to stay in the basement during nasty weather. Ahhh, spring in the "tornado alley" of our state!

Hope that eveyone has a wonderful weekend! Take care! :-)

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

I'm so glad it wasn't worse! Spring and Summer are very interesting weather wise where I live too...